Students may apply to graduate for any quarter during the year: autumn, winter, spring or summer.
Degree conferral dates are on the Academic Calendar, generally about a month after the last day of classes for that quarter.
- To apply to graduate, students can indicate their intent to graduate directly into the Axess system. This will trigger them to be included in a list provided to the department by the Registrar's Office, called the "Recommending List."
- Turn in a final updated and signed Program Sheet, and an unofficial transcript to BioE Student Services Office. You can’t use the version you declared with. We look at your Program Sheet and transcript to make sure you have completed all
bioengineering requirements to graduate, and then your student file is forwarded to the School of Engineering Student Affairs Office for review. You will be contacted via email if there are any problems. When all problems have been resolved, you will be "cleared" to graduate.
IMPORTANT: To ensure a smooth progression, it is important that students submit an updated program sheet with all required signatures at least six weeks prior to end of the final quarter.
- If you are planning to use courses taken at another institution to meet your Engineering requirements, the transfer credit must be approved in two places: (1) by the Registrar's office aka the SSC and (2) by the School of Engineering, prior to your final quarter. For more information, please visit the petitions section in the Undergraduate Engineering Handbook.
- AP or IB credit needs to appear on your SU unofficial transcript and be signed off on your major Program Sheet in 135 Huang (if you already did this when you declared there is no need to do it again).
- Any deviations from set requirements need to be petitioned early in case the petition is denied.
- If you have more than one degree, take care of official paperwork prior to end of winter quarter. The Major-Minor form needs to be signed in 135 Huang for any and all SoE degrees you are seeking. Other undergraduate forms that should be signed in 135 Huang rather than by your advisor or department staff are the 13th Quarter, Graduation Quarter, Last Units Out of Residence, and Permit to Attend for Services Only.
For questions about University requirements, check the Undergraduate Degree Requirements website.
Generally there are two commencement ceremonies, both in June. The university holds a general ceremony for all graduating students in the morning, and afterwards, at 4:00 PM the Department of Bioengineering will hold their diploma award ceremony for BioE students in the Engineering Quad.
BioE Walkthrough Petition (for students graduating after June, but who want to participate in this year's Commencement ceremony)
Submit a "walkthrough" petition at least one month prior to the commencement ceremony. Students graduating in summer or fall can come to the department ceremony held in the June prior to degree conferral. Students graduating in winter should attend the June ceremony in the quarter after degree conferral.
Ordering Caps and Gowns
Official Stanford Cap and Gown ordering information can be found at https://commencement.stanford.edu/students/ordering.
Beginning in March you may place your orders online at the Stanford Bookstore. Your academic regalia will be available for pickup at the Bookstore, Lower Level, starting in June.
Please contact the Stanford Bookstore with any questions at (650) 329-1217, ext. 348.