Required Documents to Declare BMC
Select an advisor
Your major advisor must be a faculty member within the School of Engineering. Your advisor will provide mentorship and guidance throughout your Stanford career. Because BMC is in the School of Engineering, your major advisor must hold an appointment with a School of Engineering department. You may declare a co-advisor, whose appointment may be outside the School of Engineering.
When selecting your major advisor you may find it helpful to look for faculty in the following departments, which often have faculty who share interests in computation and/or biology: Bioengineering, Computer Science, Chemical Engineering, and Electrical Engineering. BMC students have also had major advisors in Management Science & Engineering and Materials Science and Engineering.
How to Declare
- Declare in Axess
- Select "Engr" as your Major
- Select "BMC" as your subplan
- Complete the Declaration webform
- Student Services will contact students and their major advisor via email within 7-10 business days after submission
- After receiving the advisor email, students should connect with their advisor to discuss the BMC program, review 4-year plans, and obtain their advisor’s electronic signature on the completed BMC Program Sheet
- Email the following form to Dr. Altman or Dr. Kaushal
- Completed and signed program sheet (Dr. Altman or Dr. Kaushal to sign)
- Submit your signed Program Sheet to BioE Student Services specialist, Gracey Hessinger (email@example.com). The student services team will update Axess to reflect your completed major declaration, major advisor assignment, and add you to the BIOE/BMC undergraduate email listserv.